Romesco Soup with Smashed Chickpeas
by Minimalist Baker
Delicious vegan soup inspired by romesco sauce with red peppers, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and almonds. A 10-ingredient plant-based side or entrée!
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 10mins Cook: 45mins Total: 55mins
- 249 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 28 g
- Fat content
- 10.7 g
- Fiber content
- 8.5 g
- Protein content
- 13.1 g
- Saturated fat content
- 1.1 g
- Serving size
- 1 serving
- Sodium content
- 717 mg
- Sugar content
- 9.3 g
- 2 large red bell peppers ((skin on // stems on))
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 4 cloves garlic ((skin on))
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes ((slightly drained // I like San Marzano))
- 4 cups vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar ((reduce for less acidity // or sub apple cider vinegar))
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika ((plus more to taste))
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar ((or stevia to taste- just a dash))
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste ((optional // or 1/4 tsp red pepper flake // more or less to spice preference))
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas ((rinsed // drained // smashed with a fork))
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Whole Grain Bread or Simple Vegan Rolls
- Fresh herbs ((parsley or cilantro))
- Pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and arrange red peppers, still whole with stems, on one end of a clean baking sheet. On the other end, arrange almonds and garlic (still in skin). If making a larger batch, use more baking sheets, if needed.
- Place baking sheet in oven and roast almonds for 10-12 minutes or until slightly cracked and golden brown. Then remove almonds from pan and set aside. Continue baking garlic for another 5-8 minutes. Then remove and set aside.
- With peppers still on baking sheet, increase heat to 475 degrees F (246 C). Allow red peppers to roast until skin is bubbled and mostly blackened, turning/flipping halfway through to char both sides (~10 minutes).
- Once they're properly charred, wrap roasted red peppers in foil and steam for 2-3 minutes. Then peel away skin, seeds, and core. Also remove skin from roasted garlic.
- Add peeled peppers, almonds, garlic, diced tomatoes, vinegar, paprika, sea salt, pepper, maple syrup or coconut sugar, and (optional) harissa or pepper flake to a high-speed blender. Purée until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, adding more harissa or pepper flake for heat, salt for saltiness, vinegar for acidity, maple syrup or coconut sugar for sweetness, or paprika for smokiness.
- Add the soup to a large pot and add the vegetable broth and smashed chickpeas. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Then reduce heat to low and continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve as is or with a bit of pine nuts, fresh herbs, vegan parmesan cheese, or your favorite bread or roll.
- Leftovers keep well covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, though best when fresh.