Rainbow Vegetable Edamame Bowls with Teriyaki Sauce
by Minimalist Baker
Super flavorful and versatile veggie edamame bowls packed with fiber and protein and topped with teriyaki sauce! Vegan, gluten-free, and simple to make. Just 10 ingredients required!
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 15mins Cook: 45mins Total: 60mins
- 379 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 55.6 g
- Fat content
- 12.3 g
- Fiber content
- 9 g
- Protein content
- 15.7 g
- Saturated fat content
- 1.3 g
- Serving size
- 1 serving
- Sodium content
- 527 mg
- Sugar content
- 10.9 g
- Unsaturated fat content
- 1.2 g
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice ((we used short-grain basmati))
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, DIVIDED
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced ((we used baby bella // 8 ounces yield ~3 ½ cups sliced))
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 3 cups chopped stir-fry veggies of choice ((we used cabbage and red bell pepper))
- 4 stalks green onion, thinly sliced ((plus more for serving))
- 1 (12-oz.) bag frozen shelled edamame ((a 12-oz. bag yields ~2 ½ cups))
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce ((or store-bought // plus more for serving // ensure gluten-free as needed))
- 2 large carrots, grated ((2 large carrots yield ~1 cup or 105 g))
- 5 tsp rice vinegar, DIVIDED ((we used unsweetened))
- Sliced avocado
- Sesame seeds
- RICE: In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender.
- VEGGIES: While the rice cooks, add half the sesame oil (1 Tbsp (15 ml) // adjust amount if altering number of servings) and all of the mushrooms to a large rimmed skillet and turn to medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cook the mushrooms for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until reduced in size, lightly browned, and most of the moisture has cooked off. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl and set aside.
- To the now empty skillet, add the remaining sesame oil (1 Tbsp (15 ml) // adjust amount if altering number of servings) with your stir-fry veggies and about 2/3 of the green onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat, or until the vegetables are bright and begin to soften. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the frozen, shelled edamame. Toss to combine, then add the teriyaki sauce and cover. Steam for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the edamame is softened and warmed through.
- While your veggies steam, combine the shredded carrots, remaining green onion, and 3 tsp of rice vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Toss gently and set aside.
- Check on the rice, fluff it with a fork, add the remaining 2 tsp of rice vinegar, mix well, and cover.
- Stir the mushrooms into the cooked veggies to warm them. To assemble the bowls, divide the rice between serving bowls and top with edamame stir-fry mix and carrot slaw. Optionally, garnish with more teriyaki sauce and green onion. Sliced avocado and sesame seeds are also delicious! Enjoy!
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly.