by Bad Manners
It's that time of year when it's pumpkin spiced everything but you need somethin heartier than a goddamn latte.
View on Bad Manners
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 1/2 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups of pureed pumpkin*
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 3 cups of cooked beans**
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Topping Ideas:
- Cilantro, chopped onion, jalapenos, avocado, tortilla strips
- Chop up the onion, carrot, and bell pepper into chunks no bigger than a bean. Mince up the jalapeno and garlic.
In a big stock pot, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the veggies and sauté em till they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeno, soy sauce, and spices and cook that all together for another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, pumpkin, broth, and beans and stir that up to everything is mixed. Get those flavors mingling and whatnot. Turn down the heat, cover, and let that simmer together for about 15 minutes. Stir it around every now and then.
When it's done simmering, turn off the heat, and stir in the lime juice. Serve right away with your favorite toppings.
* If you try to make this chili with pumpkin pie filling, it's gonna taste fucked up so don't complain to us. That's on you.
** Whatever beans you prefer in chili are fine but if you need some guidance we used half black bean and half pinto, always a solid combo.