Curried Kale, Potato & Lentil Soup (1-Pot!)
by Minimalist Baker
Hearty, comforting curry lentil soup with potatoes and kale! Big curry flavor in this 1-pot soup that comes together in less than 45 minutes. The perfect satisfying, healthy, plant-based meal.
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 10mins Cook: 35mins Total: 45mins
- 390 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 61.6 g
- Fat content
- 6.2 g
- Fiber content
- 19.9 g
- Protein content
- 23.1 g
- Saturated fat content
- 3.8 g
- Serving size
- 1 entrée servings
- Sodium content
- 1000 mg
- Sugar content
- 6.3 g
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil ((or sub a neutral oil, such as avocado))
- 1 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 medium whole carrots ((peeled and chopped))
- 1 pinch sea salt + black pepper ((plus more to taste))
- 4 cloves garlic, minced ((yields ~2 Tbsp as original recipe is written))
- 3 cups diced potatoes ((I used 1/2 peeled sweet potato, 1/2 unpeeled baby yellow potato))
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder*
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth ((or store-bought- I like Imagine brand))
- 1 cup green lentils ((thoroughly rinsed and drained))
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar ((optional // plus more to taste))
- 4 cups chopped green or purple kale
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lemon juice
- Bread or Flatbread
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, and carrots. Season with a pinch each sea salt and black pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and potatoes and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown slightly, and then add curry powder. Stir to coat. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add lesser amount of vegetable broth (5 cups or 1200 ml as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and increase heat to medium-high. Once at a low boil, add lentils, stir, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding coconut sugar for a little sweetness (optional), more curry powder for intense curry flavor, or sea salt and pepper for more balance. I added more of each.
- If the soup has thickened too much, add remaining vegetable broth (1 cup or 240 ml as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) , stir, and cook until warmed through.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale and cover to steam until tender but still vibrant green - about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately as is or with cilantro and fresh lemon juice (optional). This would also go well with my Easy Vegan Wheat Bread, or Garlic & Herb Flatbread! Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.