CREAMY CURRIED PARSNIP SOUP
by Bad Manners
When you’re feelin’ sick, you might immediately reach for tomato soup. That’s fine, but basic, so maybe consider this shit: parsnips. They’ve got a bunch of fiber and vitamins, plus this soup is what we can only describe as velvety as fuck.
View on Bad Manners
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 5 to 6 parsnips,* peeled and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon no-salt curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup nondairy milk (we like almond)
- ¼ cup almonds, walnuts, or macadamia nuts, toasted (see page 46) and chopped up teeny tiny
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until it starts lookin’ a little golden, about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips and potato and keep stirring that shit around until they start to soften slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté for another minute so the spices can kinda wake up and coat those rooty fucks. Add the veggie broth and milk and bring that to a slow simmer. Let that cook till the parsnips and potatoes are soft, at least 30 minutes.
While that’s cooking, in a small bowl, combine the nuts, cilantro, green onions, and a pinch of salt. Set the crumble aside. LOOK AT YOU MULTITASKING LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.
Once the soup is ready to go you can either: (a) Stick your immersion blender in the pot and let it run until the soup is creamy and your desired level of mild chunks has been achieved. OR (b) Work in batches and puree the soup in a blender until smooth and then pour it back in the pot. Up to you.
Once the soup is creamy, stir in the lime juice and taste. Add more curry powder, salt, lime juice, or some pepper if you want.
Serve with the crumble right in the middle of the bowls and maybe put some extra on the table because it’s just that good.
*Learn more about these pale motherfuckers on page 244 of our book Brave New Meal. Can’t find them?Sub in celery root instead for a just as fucking delicious soup. Or do 5 cups chopped potatoes, 1 cup carrots. Whatever you got.