Chickpea Shawarma Sandwich
by Minimalist Baker
Amazing, 30-minute Chickpea Shawarma Sandwich with spicy baked chickpeas, a creamy Garlic Dill sauce, and lots of fresh vegetables. A healthy, quick, and satisfying plant-based meal!
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 5mins Cook: 25mins Total: 30mins
- 373 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 64.4 g
- Fat content
- 7.3 g
- Fiber content
- 6.2 g
- Protein content
- 12.6 g
- Saturated fat content
- 0.8 g
- Serving size
- 1 sandwiches
- Sodium content
- 913 mg
- Sugar content
- 3.5 g
- Unsaturated fat content
- 5.39 g
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas ((rinsed, drained and patted dry))
- 1 Tbsp grape seed or avocado oil
- 1 tsp each cumin and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt + black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked (or regular) paprika
- 1/4 tsp each ground coriander + cinnamon
- 1/4 cup hummus ((or tahini*))
- ~1 Tbsp lemon juice ((juice of 1/2 lemon as original recipe is written))
- 3/4 - 1 tsp dried dill*
- 3 cloves garlic ((minced))
- 2-3 Tbsp water or unsweetened almond milk ((to thin))
- Sea salt to taste ((optional // I didn’t need any))
- Vegan pita or flatbread ((ensure gluten-free for GF eaters))
- Sliced tomato ((optional))
- Sliced red onion ((optional))
- Romaine lettuce or fresh parsley, chopped ((optional))
- Chili garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a large baking sheet (or more if making larger batch) with foil or parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl toss rinsed and dried chickpeas with oil and spices* and spread on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly crispy and golden brown. Once slightly cooled, sample and adjust seasonings as desired (I added a bit more sea salt, cumin and garlic powder for extra flavor).
- While the chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding hummus, lemon juice, dill and garlic to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine. Add enough water or almond milk to thin so it’s pourable (~2-3 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust amount if altering batch size).
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
- To serve, warm pitas or flatbread in the microwave for 15 -30 seconds (or the still warm oven for 1 minute) and top with desired amount of chickpeas, sauce, and vegetables of choice.
- Best when fresh, though leftover chickpeas and sauce will keep well stored separately in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.