Blood Orange & Avocado Salad
by Cookie and Kate
This beautiful blood orange and avocado salad brightens up dreary winter days! It's loaded with delicious fresh, seasonal flavors and makes a statement on the dinner table. Recipe yields 4 servings.
View on Cookie and Kate
Prep: 30mins Total: 30mins
- 226 calories
- Carbohydrate content
- 24.2 g
- Cholesterol content
- 0 mg
- Fat content
- 15.5 g
- Fiber content
- 6.9 g
- Protein content
- 2.6 g
- Saturated fat content
- 2.2 g
- Serving size
- Sodium content
- 152.1 mg
- Sugar content
- 12.8 g
- Trans fat content
- 0 g
- 1/4th small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 blood oranges (or regular oranges), peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large or 2 small-to-medium ripe avocados, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 medium lime)
- Flaky sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon nigella seed, black sesame seeds* or pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill a medium-sized bowl with ice and water, and soak the onions for 10 to 20 minutes. This step makes the onions crisp and softens their flavor intensity.
- Meanwhile, on a large serving plate, layer the orange and avocado slices.
- Drain the onion well and tuck pieces in between and on top of the orange and avocado. Drizzle the salad with the lime juice and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Sprinkle the seeds and cilantro on top, then drizzle the olive oil all over it. Serve promptly.