Blended Red Salsa
by Minimalist Baker
Simple blended red salsa in just 30 minutes! Carrots add natural sweetness and a pop of color, while chipotle peppers bring a touch of heat.
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 10mins Cook: 20mins Total: 30mins
- 25 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 5.5 g
- Fat content
- 0.3 g
- Fiber content
- 1.1 g
- Protein content
- 0.8 g
- Serving size
- 1 quarter-cup servings
- Sodium content
- 169 mg
- Sugar content
- 3.3 g
- 1 Tbsp avocado or grape seed oil ((or any neutral oil with a high smoke point))
- 1/2 white onion ((diced))
- 3 cloves garlic ((minced))
- 1 cup diced carrots ((or sub orange or yellow bell pepper!))
- 1 pinch each salt + pepper ((plus more to taste))
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes ((no salt added))
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce ((add 1/2 tsp adobo sauce for more heat!)*)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth ((or water))
- 1-2 Tbsp sweetener of choice ((optional // coconut sugar or maple syrup))
- 1 small lime, juiced
- Heat a large skillet (cast iron is preferable) over medium heat and prep onion, garlic and carrot.
- Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic, and carrot and season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper.
- Stir to coat and cover - cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and add diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and a healthy pinch more salt and pepper. Stir, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or high speed blender and add chipotle pepper, vegetable stock, sweetener, and lime juice. Blend until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or - as I prefer it - refrigerated. Keeps in the fridge for at least 7-10 days.