1-Hour Fall Pot Pies
by Minimalist Baker
Simple, 1-hour vegan pot pies with fall vegetables, topped with pumpkin sage biscuits! Comforting, savory, and perfect for chilly weather.
View on Minimalist Baker
Prep: 25mins Cook: 35mins Total: 60mins
- 327 kcal
- Carbohydrate content
- 45 g
- Fat content
- 13 g
- Fiber content
- 3 g
- Protein content
- 6 g
- Saturated fat content
- 3 g
- Serving size
- 1 pies
- Sodium content
- 514 mg
- Sugar content
- 2.4 g
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion ((white & yellow are best, but red works too // 1/2 large onion yields ~3/4 cup or 120 g))
- 2 cloves garlic ((minced))
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 scant cup unbleached all-purpose flour ((or sub other thickener of choice))
- 2 1/4 cups veggie broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk ((optional))
- 2 cups diced fall vegetables ((such as carrot, parsnip, potato, kale // fresh or frozen))
- 2 whole bay leaves ((optional // or sub thyme))
- 1 batch Best Damn Vegan Biscuits, Pumpkin Sage Biscuits, or sub store-bought vegan-friendly biscuits, pie crust, or puff pastry (you will likely have 2-3 leftover biscuits if making 1 full batch)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C).
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Then add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt – stir. Cook until soft – about 7 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir with a whisk, then slowly whisk in the broth.
- Add almond milk (optional), potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and bay leaves and stir. Simmer until the mixture is thickened (about 10 minutes). If it still appears too thin, scoop out (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) 1/2 cup of the broth and add 2-3 tsp more flour and whisk. Add back into the pot to thicken. Wait a few minutes and then repeat if necessary.
- While the sauce is thickening, prepare biscuits (if using). Cut out, leave unbaked, and set aside.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add the kale and cook for 3 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper if desired.
- Discard the bay leaves and divide the mixture evenly between 5-6 lightly greased ramekins or an 8×8 baking dish (as original recipe is written // adjust number or size of dish(es) if altering batch size).
- Top with unbaked biscuits and brush the tops of the biscuits with melted vegan butter. Set your ramekins on a baking sheet to catch overflow and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly (about 14-18 minutes). Let cool slightly before serving. See notes for make ahead/freezing instructions.